With over 40 visual artists resident in our managed temporary spaces across Tees Valley, Navigator North opened it’s doors to visitors for our 2015 Open Studios. Taking place again for the third year running this event was once again proud to be part of Discover Middlesbrough festival. Visitors had the opportunity to meet a range of artists from photographers to sculptors and see examples of their work in their own studios and on display in Dundas House.
Highlights included –
• Zine making workshop with artist Roberto Picciau
• Needle felting demonstrations with textile artist Hellen Edwards
• Lino printing workshop with NICE artist Jessica Johnston
• Drawing session with artist Sara Cooper
• Barbara Griffin’s Camera Obscura
• Feather printing with printmaker Suzie Devey
• ‘One-shot’ Portraits with photographer Jason Hynes
• Penthouse installation from Alan Hathaway
• An installation from Heidi Louie Colwill from Peaches and Dandy
We also hosted Artist Union England for the day, who represent visual & applied artists and artists with a socially engaged practice. AUE are building a trade union and aim to represent artists, challenging economic inequalities and negotiate fair pay and better working conditions. Theresa Easton, the current chair of AUE was on hand to talk to visitors and artists and helped visitors make their own badge!
Throughout the day our visitors had unique access to our rooftop space with amazing 360 degree views of Middlesbrough.