Festival of Thrift, Creative Fuse and Navigator North are presenting an exciting opportunity for artists and creative, cultural or digital businesses working in the Tees Valley Region to take part in a short programme between October and December 2018.
The first of these opportunities will welcome you to join us to find out more about the programme, tell us what support you need and how to secure a place for further support, workshops and bespoke mentoring.
What: C O L L I D E R S C O P E Welcome session
When: Wednesday 31st October, 2-4pm
Where: Navigator North, Dundas House, Middlesbrough, TS1 1HY
In 2018, supported by Tees Valley Combined Authority, Festival of Thrift initiated a programme of commissions – Viewpoints – aimed at encouraging artists to engage with ideas of sustainability and to create work which would provide a viewpoint on a related issue and / or be located at a viewpoint in the Tees Valley.
For 2019, as part of the run up to a Tees Valley bid for City of Culture 2025 the Festival wishes to develop the project to embed artists within regional low carbon industries, sharing knowledge, ideas and skills.
VIEWPOINTS will be a national call out, but prior to the commissions there is an exciting opportunity for creative, cultural or digital businesses and sole traders working in the Tees Valley Region to develop pitching skills, upscale work, work bigger, test out new materials and push their practice in new directions.
Festival of Thrift have teamed up with CREATIVE FUSE and NAVIGATOR NORTH to deliver a short programme October – December 2018 for select participants to gain new knowledge and develop a fit for purpose approach to bidding for and presenting innovative ideas.
Participants will –
- Hear and learn from artists and curators with experience to share in presenting work in the public realm and non-gallery spaces and the joys and pitfalls of working in an industrial context.
- Receive insights to develop their practice around materials and fabrication with support from experts in the field of materials research, engineering and manufacturing
- Visit Tees Valley manufacturers and fabricators
- Receive 8 hours of mentoring to develop ideas, products and creative practice from Creative Industry experts (subject to selection process)
- Take part in and shape an Artist Innovation Workshop, which may include; meeting commissioner’s needs, making effective pitches, promotion, protecting ideas and costing and pricing work
- Benefit from free secure cloud storage and access to the newly established Creative Fuse online hub of resources
- Network online with the wider Creative Fuse Tees Valley community of creative, cultural, heritage and technology freelancers and SMEs
- Build a shareable online portfolio
- Share the learning from Viewpoints 2018 commissions
C O L L I D E R S C O P E Welcome session
2-4pm, Wednesday 31st October
Navigator North, Dundas House, Middlesbrough, TS1 1HY
Programme introductions from –
- Creative Fuse
- Festival of Thrift / Viewpoints
- Navigator North
Guest speakers including –
- Elena Gifford from National Festival of Making
- Chris Beck from TWI
- Judith King and Andrea Hawkins from Arts and Heritage
Industry Open Day – The Art of Engineering
10am – 2pm Wed 14th November 2018
TWI, Ferrous Road, Riverside Park, Middlesbrough, TS2 1DJ
Visit to leading global engineering company – TWI at Tees AMP. Will include tour, demonstrations, discussion and ‘Show and Tell’
Artist Innovation Workshop
TBA November/December 2018
November – December 2018
8 hours of mentoring from creative sector experts including-
- Stephanie Allen, Arts and Heritage
- Elena Gifford, National Festival of Making
- Nicola Golightly and Vicky Holbrough, Navigator North
Am I eligible?
To meet the requirements of our funders, ERDF, this event is open only to Creative or Digital businesses and sole traders operating in the Tees Valley LEP region (Middlesbrough, Stockton, Darlington, County Durham, Hartlepool, Redcar and Cleveland). You should have a unique taxpayer reference or registered business number or equivalent.
Places at this event are limited and a member of the Creative Fuse team will contact you direct to confirm you meet the criteria.